INTERNAL ASSESSMENT IN PHYSICS
- Internal Assessment: Student will also receive support for the IBDP Internal Assessments and will have the advantage of using the various experimental tools for better understanding of the concepts.
Internal Assessments (the labs / practical work) count as 20% of a candidate's overall IB grade.External Assessments (the papers) count for 80% of a candidate's overall IB grade.
The externally-moderated Internal Assessment task will be one scientific investigation taking about 10 hours and the write-up should be about 6 to 12 pages long. Investigations exceeding this length will be penalized in the communications criterion as lacking in conciseness.
The task produced should be complex and commensurate with the level of the course. It should require a purposeful research question and the scientific rationale for it.
Some of the possible tasks include:
- a hands-on laboratory investigation
- using a spreadsheet for analysis and modeling
- extracting data from a database and analyzing it graphically
- producing a hybrid of spreadsheet/database work with a traditional hands-on investigation
- using a simulation, provided it is interactive and open-ended
Some tasks may consist of relevant and appropriate qualitative work combined with quantitative work.
The tasks will have the same assessment criteria for SL and HL. The five assessment criteria are personal engagement, exploration, analysis, evaluation, and communication.